The fort is atop an elevated ground, crowning Madikeri with its imposing structure. The original mud fort was rebuilt in stone by Tipu Sultan. Two life-size elephants made of mortar, catch the eye of the visitor on entering the Fort. In the inner Fort, a temple of Virabhadra was removed by the British in 1855 and in its place built an Anglican Church. The Church, in Gothic style, with colour stained glasses has now been converted into a museum. The museum, run by the state archaeology department, is a repository of many antiques of Coorg. Field Marshall K.M. Cariappa, who settled down in the town after his retirement, has donated the various awards and gifts bestowed on him. The other buildings inside the fort include the Mahatma Gandhi Public Library, the Kote Maha Ganapathi temple and the district prison.