The Omkareshwara temple in Madikeri was built by Lingarajendra II in 1820 in the Mumammadan style of architecture with a dome in the center and four turrets at four corners. Legend has it that the King put to death a pious Brahmin unjustly and in order to appease the spirit of the Brahmin, the temple was built. The temple is akin to a Muslim dargah with a Linga installed near the entrance door. The King inscribed the history of the temple in a copper plate which is fixed at the entrance door frame. There is a water tank in front of the temple and in the middle of the tank there is a “mantapam” connected by a causeway. There are plenty of fish in the tank which is an attraction for children.