Appa Kajjaya by shalini nanda
- 400gms ripe bananas (preferably mara balé or any creamy fleshed banana with an optional squeeze of lime juice)
- 75gms plain flour
- 50gms rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 2 tbsp khus-khus (white poppy seed) very lightly roasted
- •or 2 tbsp brown (unhulled) sesame seed, lightly roasted
- 5 tbsp jaggery (you might want more if you prefer things on the sweeter side)
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Oil for frying
Sift the flour, rice flour, salt and baking soda together.
Mash the bananas to a smooth pulp and mix all the ingredients together to a soft batter. If it looks a little too wet, don’t add more flour.
Allow it to sit for a few minutes and it should thicken to easy dropping consistency.
Heat the oil in a kadhai or wok and drop teaspoonfuls of the mixture in gently.
Fry on medium heat, stirring the kajjayas around occasionally.
When they are an even brown on the outside, remove and drain on absorbent paper.
Cool, then store in an airtight container.
Makes approximately 36 bite sized kajjayas